Today we are looking at one of the prestigious university in Nigeria. This university is a dream of many Nigerian Students and also some International Students too who wish to Study in Nigeria. University of Nigeria, Nsukka also known as UNN.
Inspired by Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, University of Nigeria, Nsukka, was founded due to the bill of law passed in 1955, on the eighteenth day of May.
However, the activities of the university as an institution of higher learning started on the 7th of October, 1960 after Nigeria gained her independence.
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka is the nation’s university situated in Nsukka, Enugu state. It is one of the most prestigious universities in the country.
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka got its name as a result of being the first indigenous and autonomous university of the country.
The University of Nigeria, Nsukka has four campuses:
University of Nigeria, Nsukka campus: located in the heart of Nsukka, the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, popularly known as UNN is the main campus of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, hence, its name.
It houses some faculties like the faculties of Engineering, pharmaceutical sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, veterinary medicine, agriculture, biological sciences, Education, and arts.
University of Nigeria, Enugu campus: the University of Nigeria, Enugu campus, popularly known as UNEC is located in Enugu town of Enugu state. It houses the faculty of Business Administration, Environmental Studies, Law, Medical Sciences, Dentistry and health sciences.
University of Nigeria, Teaching Hospital, Ituku Ozalla campus: located in Ituku Ozalla, the University of Nigeria, Ituku-Ozalla campus, popularly known as UNTH houses the Faculty of Medical Sciences and the College of Medicine.
Most of their practical medical works are performed at UNTH.
University of Nigeria, Aba campus: the University of Nigeria, Aba campus, located in Aba in Abia state, houses the Institute of Nigerian Languages.
Courses Offered At University of Nigeria, Nsukka:
The faculties in the University of Nigeria, Nsukka are:
- Agric Extension services
- Agricultural economics
- Animal science
- Art (Combined Honours)
- Adult education
- Agricultural science and education
- Agricultural and Bioresources engineering
- Business education
- Banking and finance
- Biological sciences
- Business management
- Crop science
- Computer science
- Civil engineering
- Computer education
- Computer with statistics
- Creative arts
- Dentistry and dental surgery
- Electrical engineering
- Electronic engineering
- Estate management
- Education and social science
- Education and chemistry
- Education arts
- Education science
- English and literary studies
- Fine art/fine and applied arts
- French with German/Russian
- Library and Information Science
- Linguistics Igbo and other African Languages
- Religious studies
- Theatre and Film studies
- Guidance and counselling
- Health education
- Home economics and education
- Industrial technical education
- Physical education
- Mechanical engineering
- Surveying and geoinformatics
- Urban and Regional planning
- Medical laboratory science
- Medical rehabilitation
- Medicine and Surgery
- Physics and astrology
- Pure and applied chemistry
- Pure and industrial chemistry
- Statistics zoology
- Food science and technology
- Home science
- Nutrition and dietetics
- Social science
- Public administration and local government
- Veterinary medicine.
University of Nigeria, Nsukka Admission
The students for undergraduate programmes have four modes of entry:
- Entrance examination
- Direct entry
- Sandwich programme
The requirements for admission into undergraduate programme at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka are as follows
- Age requirements: the applicant should not be less than 16 years of age.
- Academic requirements: applicant should ensure that they have five credit passes including English language and a science subject in not more than two sittings of WASSCE or NECO
- Applicants must sit for the UTME examination and scored a total of 180 or more.
- Successful candidates will sit for the Post UTME screening exercise
- Direct Entry applicants must meet the UTME requirements for the intended course of study.
For more information on the postgraduate school of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, please visit:
University of Nigeria, Nsukka Admission List
Successful candidates from the Post UTME screening exercise for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka will be notified of their admission by publication on the school website. The list is released in batches.
Candidates who made the general school cut but were not offered provisional admission, maybe because they did not make the cut for their intended course of study are required to purchase a supplementary admission form from the school website and opt for another course with vacancies for which they made the cut.
The list of successful candidates would be published on the school website. The JAMB portal will also notify successful candidates of their admission status and course of study.
For more information, please visit the school website:
Cut Off Marks For University Of Nigeria, Nsukka
The cut marks for admissions into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka vary from year to year for individual courses, however, there is a general school cut off of 180 requirement for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.
The individual cuts for each department is released each year. This can be assessed at the school’s official website where all official guidelines and pronouncements are made accessible to the general public at:
University of Nigeria, Nsukka Direct Entry
Eligibility for application for admission into the University of Nigeria, Nsukka through the Direct Entry
- Applicants should have a School Certificate/GCE ‘O’ level and the Higher School certificate/GCE ‘A’ level with passes in two subjects at ordinary or advanced level with passes of credit level in three other subjects in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants should have a School Certificate/GCE ‘O’ level and the Higher School certificate/GCE ‘A’ level with passes in three subjects at ordinary or advanced level with a pass in any other subject at subsidiary or credit level in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants should have a School Certificate/GCE of Higher School certificate/GCE ‘A’ level with passes in four subjects at advanced level in not more than two sittings.
- Applicants should have a School Certificate or its equivalent with the least of four credit level passes including English language and approved 2-year diploma.
- Applicants should have post-secondary qualification beyond the ordinary, advanced levels and school certificates. The qualifications should include degree and diplomas of University of Nigeria, Nsukka and other Universities or Institutions recognised by the University.
- Applicants should have Diploma in music education with the degree programme in music.
- Applicants should have the Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) with the least of a Merit aggregate, and a minimum of credit pass in the relevant subjects
For more information, please visit:
University of Nigeria, Nsukka School Fees
The school fees of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka varies from year to year but usually in a close range of the list below.
- For first year students: ₦70000 – ₦77000
- For second year students: ₦47000 – ₦54000
- For other years: ₦43000 – ₦49000
- For final year students: ₦43000 – ₦49000
Laptop fee: there is a mandatory laptop fee for the students of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Where each student is supplied with a laptop. This is payable once by each student. There is an option of paying in instalments for the PCs.
Full payment: ₦90000
- Payment 1: ₦30000
- Payment 2: ₦30000
- Payment 3: ₦30000
- Payment 4: ₦30000
Paying in instalment is worth ₦120,000.