Sunday , March 29 2020
Home / Articles / How Tos / How To Get Into Tertiary Institutions Without JAMB.

How To Get Into Tertiary Institutions Without JAMB.

Students who did not make it through JAMB thinks its finished and they cant make it to any institution that year until the next year when they will sit for it again. But do you know that you must not wait for the next year?

it is known that most Federal  institutions cut very high from 200 while others from 18o so most students who score below always give up and believes they must wait till the next year.


Remember,JAMB is not the only gateway to higher institution in Nigeria. So since JAMB exam did not favour you, you need to consider these other ways of securing admission in Nigeria. I will outline and explain these other ways of gaining admission so you can make the choice that is best for you.

1. National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN):

Yo may have heard about the Open University of Nigeria. You do not require JAMB to gain admission into the Open University of Nigeria (NOUN). One advantage of the Open University is that there is noting like school going on strike. The major disadvantage is that their graduates are not allowed to participate in NYSC.

Though the management of the university is working to resolve this issue with the government so hopefully soon, they will be allowed to participated in NYSC. So if you will like to enrol in NOUN, visits their official website: to know the courses available and locate the closest study centre nationwide.

2. IJMB/JUPEB/Diploma Programmes:

IJMB stands for Interim Joint Matriculation Board. IJMB is an Advanced-Level (A-Level) Course, which you take for 9 months, after which you take a final exam that gives you a certificate. This certificate can then be used to apply for Direct entry admission into 200 Level in any university of your choice.

JUPEB stands for Joint Universities Preliminary Examinations Board (JUPEB). Just like IJMB is it equally an advanced level programme. Successful candidates can use their certificate to apply for direct entry admission into 200 level in any university of their choice.

Diploma programmes Some universities still offer Diploma programmes. This programme usually last for 2 years after which you will obtain a certificate which you can use to apply for admission into 200 level in that university or any other university.

Other acceptable A-level certificate like A-level GCE certificate can be used equally to secure direct entry admission into 200 level in any university.

All these programmes are offered by many universities as well as some educational consults.

3. Pre-degree/Remedial/Foundation Programmes:

Pre-degree/Remedial/Foundation Programmes are offered by many universities and is designed to support candidates who did not meet certain requirements for admission. After completing the programme which usually last for 7-12 months, the successful candidates are admitted into relevant undergraduate degree courses in the school they did the proigramme. We usually update information on Pre-degree/Remedial/Foundation Programmes admissions and sales of forms. So you can always visit for such information or updates.

Part-time/Weekend/Evening Programmes:

Almost all universities offer part-time degree programmes. The part-time degree programmes is just the same with full time degree programmes (That is admission through JAMB) in terms of certificate. The differences are that, not all courses are offered in part-time programme, part-time programmes takes an extra year and finally part-time graduates do not go for the National Youth Service Corps.

Similarly almost all polytechnics run evening and weekend programmes. There’s one they equally call Daily Part-time programme (DPT) in some polytechnics. If you enrol in any of these programmes, you will obtain your National Diploma certificate after 2-3 years just like those that gained admission through JAMB. You can use the National Diploma certificate obtained to apply for direct entry admission into 200 level in any university of your choice if you do not want to continue with your HND in the polytechnic. This is really cool if you are working and schooling at the same time as it will give you time for both.

Study Abroad:

Schools outside Nigeria do not require you to have JAMB result before you can be admitted. I know many students that JAMB ha frustrated countless and they have no option than to movc to ghana for their higher education. The thinh however is that it is quite expensive studying abroad. So this option is for those who can afford it.

What Are The Requirements For These Programmes

All you need to run any of these programmes is just your O’level result (WAEC, NECO etc or even a combination of the results). You not need to take JAMB or have a JAMB result to enroll in any of the programmes. Enrolling in any of these programmes is better than waiting for another year. Unless age is still on your side. If not, take advantage of any of these programmes as you deem convenient or suitable.

To see related post click here

 Note: We now post daily scholarships for Nigeria Students (Including Undergraduates & Post-Graduate. Click Here.

» If you have an official notice from your school for our front page, Click here to post

About Maryam Mahmud

Check Also

5 Tricks To Answer Exam Questions With The Speed Of Light

5 Tricks To Answer Exam Questions With The Speed Of Light The world is currently …