How to get a good job in Nigeria. Hello job seekers,we can all agree that the economy is not making it easy for youths. After working so hard and graduating from school,serving your country, many youths languish at home, still depending on parents to feed,this can be very frustrating but all hope is not lost.
I will give tips on how to get a good job in Nigeria.
How to Get a Good Job in Nigeria
This is very important, as virtually every job you will apply for will require a cv and a cover letter sometimes. It is important that you make your cv very straightforward and easy to understand.
The reason is this, most employers use computer applications to scan CVS and the application cannot use its discretion, it has none. It will only select a cv that is clear and matches the qualifications needed.
I will give tips to beat these computer applications. One of them is the applicant tracking system (ATS). An applicant tracking system (ATS) is a software application that enables the electronic handling of recruitment needs.
In many cases they filter applications automatically based on given criteria such as keywords, skills, former employers, years of experience and schools attended.
The problem with applicant tracking systems, as many job seekers know, is that they are flawed. Very flawed. If a job seeker’s resume isn’t formatted the right way and doesn’t contain the right keywords and phrases, the applicant tracking system will misread it and rank it as a bad match with the job opening, regardless of the candidate’s qualifications.
1. Never send your resume as a PDF: Because applicant tracking systems lack a standard way to structure PDF documents, they’re easily misread. DocX is perfect for resumes.
2. Don’t include tables or graphics: Applicant tracking systems can’t read graphics, and they misread tables. Instead of reading tables left to right, as a person would, applicant tracking systems read them up and down. It’s not a beauty contest, so make your cv as simple as possible.
3. Feel free to submit a longer resume: The length of your resume doesn’t matter to an applicant tracking system. It will scan your resume regardless of whether it’s two pages or four. Submitting a longer resume that allows you to pack in more relevant experience and keywords and phrases could increase your chances of ranking higher in the system.
4. Call your work experience, “Work Experience”: Sometimes job seekers refer to their work experience on their resume as their “Professional Experience” or “Career Achievements” Often the computer will completely skip over your work experience because you didn’t label it as such.
5. Don’t start your work experience with dates: To ensure applicant tracking systems read and import your work experience properly, always start it with your employer’s name, followed by your title, followed by the dates you held that title.
Applicant tracking systems look for company names first. Never start your work experience with the dates you held certain positions.
Learn how to use Microsoft Office. Learn all the packages under Microsoft Office, SharePoint, Excel, Ms word, power point.
When your cv is taken care of, you can now begin to apply for jobs via different channels. These days social media make it easier to get things done without carrying a file from office to office.
With an Internet connection, you can apply for so many jobs all over the country. Try to ensure you apply for not less than 10 a day.
These are some proven sites to patronize;
LinkedIn is the most important of them all because it gives you an online cv and also most jobs that are legitimate are advertised on LinkedIn before it gets to other social media sites.
That way, you are first to hear of a job opening and apply for the applications start pouring in. Open a LinkedIn account If you haven’t already done so.
Ensure you use a profile picture that shows responsibility on your part. pictures that portray you as a stripper will not help your ministry.
Thank you for reading this article how to get a good job in Nigeria.