The process of finding a job is different for each one of us and depending on the industry you find yourself. Our team at Students Nigeria has analyzed and did research on multiple industries and professions to find the main general strategies that will help you get hired faster.
Some of these ways for finding a job are decreasing in popularity on a daily basis, such as the job adverts from Local newspapers, while other ways such as finding jobs through Social Media platforms are increasing in popularity.
Here are some crucial ways to find a job in 2018 and beyond.
1. Networking & Referrals
There is a “hidden job market” that can be accessed only by networking and knowing the right people at the right time. You will need to have a mindset open to discovering, exploring and be open to the new opportunities that you will encounter. While the final goal is to help yourself getting a job, you will also need to help others along the way.
Remember that each network (family, neighbors, close friends, acquaintances, colleagues and co-workers) is part of another network. Therefore your outreach is higher than you think.
Start by making a list of all the people you know that might have the knowledge or know someone in the industry or the company you want to apply and reach to them first. They can easily refer you or recommend to a key stakeholder in that company.
Before you start reaching out and activate your network, keep in mind that it is really important to know exactly what you want.
2. Career Websites and Job Searching Platforms
There are many career websites and job searching platforms out there. Some of them might be global, while others are regional.
Knowing which position you are applying for, easily type on search engines, for example, Career24 and Jobberman.
Before you start applying, make sure that your resume and Cover Letter are up-to-date.
3. Job Fairs
To get the most of a job fair and get hired after, consider the following advice:
- The majority of the job fairs will advertise the companies that are participating, therefore make sure check to check all the companies that interest you by looking on their website and discover already what open position they might be having.
- Again, it is essential to have your resume and Cover Letter updated.
- Create networking card that includes your name, email, phone number and optionally your website, blog or LinkedIn account.
- Have a power outfit for the job fair. Make sure you choose the right clothing style which should be professional and comfortable increasing your confidence.
- Make a list of questions for the recruiters. This will show that you are prepared and passionate about the job and will increase the chances of them remembering you.
- Practice your personal pitch and the eye contact. The first impression matters the most. Therefore it is important that you show great communication skills through your introduction and by frequently maintaining eye contact.
- Follow up with the recruiters from the companies you wish to work for. If you have their contacts, send them a thank you email or connect with them on LinkedIn.
4. Company’s Website
If you already know what is your dream job and for what company you want to apply, the best way is to go directly to the source. Firstly, check their career section and see if they have openings for your dream job. If they do not have openings at the moment, considering writing to them and politely ask for more information about possible future vacancies.
5. Social Media Channels
When using social media channels to find a job, it is important to consider the following tips:
- Use your real name on your profiles.
- Only use professional images and keep them consistent across platforms.
- Make an audit of your accounts and remove the posts or images that are inappropriate or unprofessional.
- Delete the profiles on the websites that you are not using anymore regularly.
- “Brand” yourself consistently across all the platforms. You want people to know who you are, what you do and what are your plans.
- LinkedIn is one of the most known platforms for professionals which can also be considered a job search site, but other platforms such as Facebook and Google started implementing job searching options.
The conclusion is that in our modern and dynamic job market, finding your dream job might require a combination of more of the above methods. All of these methods have their advantages and disadvantages.
Therefore it is essential to try first the ones that you are comfortable with but get out of your comfort zone from time to time and experiment with the others as well.