Description: For applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries with an excellent academic record, the DRD – Institute of Development Research and Development offers DAAD merit scholarships per year. The scholarship will be taken at University of the Western Cape, South Africa and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany.
Course Level: Masters & PhD
Field of Study: Scholarships are available for full-time students of
- MA in Development Studies
- Master in Public Administration
- PhD options at the CDR
Selection Criteria and Eligibility: Requirements for application and application procedure
- Applicants should be from Sub-Sahara Africa
- Applicants should have an outstanding academic record – at least 70% of your last degree
- Applicants should apply within 6 years of having completed their previous degree
- The study must have been completed at an internationally recognized university
- The previous degree (Baccalaureus or Master) should have been an academic discipline which is related to Development Studies or Public Administration
- South African students are required to have an honours degree in order to be admitted to a Masters degree course. Other students need the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree
- Applicants must provide evidence of proficiency in English, both written and spoken. This can be TOEFL test or a similar standard test or a letter from an academic institution
- Work and/or voluntary experience in your field of interest would be a recommendation
- Women are encouraged to apply
- Applicants must be able to study fulltime at the UWC for the required period.
- South African students are encouraged to apply
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at (country): School of Government, University of the Western Cape, South Africa and Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
Number of Scholarships: not specified
Value of Scholarship: Scholarships include monthly allowances of 650 Euro plus travel allowances for Master candidates and 900 Euro plus travel allowances for PhD candidates. More information about requirements for application and application procedure is provided in link below.
Duration of Scholarship: for period of the programme
How to Apply: You will have to fill in an electronic application form As the e-form can only be submitted once, please make sure that your application is complete before submitting it!
Visit scholarship webpage for details
- the MA in Development Studies (next deadline 31st July 2017, online application is available in the “How to apply” section of the Programme!)
- the Master in Public Administration (next deadline 31st July 2017, online application is available in the “How to apply” section of the Programme!)
- the MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme, next deadline 31st December 2017)
(separate online application platform, access and guidelines via “How to apply” section of the Bochum programme or via the course homepage)
- the different PhD options at the centre (PhD UWC) (next deadline 31st July 2017, online application is available in the “How to apply” section of the Programme!)
Offered annually? Yes
Award Provider: DAAD