Description: Applications are now open for the 2017/18 entry to the Max Weber Fellowship Programme at the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence, Italy.
Fields of Study: Economics, History, Law and Social and Political sciences. All areas and types of research within these fields are considered.
- Candidates must have received their Ph.D within the past 5 years or have official approval to defend their thesis by the time of the start of the programme (1 September). Therefore, to apply for 2017-18 they should have received or submitted their Ph.D. between 1/9/2012 and 1/9/2017 and the Ph.D defence should take place no later than 31/12/2017.
- Extensions to the five-year rule are allowed for applicants whose academic career has been interrupted for maternity or paternity leave, illness or mandatory military service. Cite circumstances in the application form in the field ‘Additional Notes’. Successful candidates will be asked to provide supporting documents.
- EUI graduates can only apply for a Max Weber Fellowships after having been away from the EUI and in a full-time occupation or another fellowship for at least a year after defending their Ph.D
- Candidates of any nationality are eligible for the Max Weber Fellowships.
- The expected level of English proficiency is level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).Successful candidates will be requested to provide a certificate/supporting document on registration. This can be one of the international certificates listed below, or a supporting document showing that the candidate has written the doctorate, or published an article or a book chapter of at least 6000 words in English, or has studied and hold a qualification from a University where the language of instruction and assessment was English. Native English speakers are exempt of proof.The following international certificates of English proficiency are recognised by the EUI:
- TOEFL (IBT)
- Cambridge Proficiency
- Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)
- Academic accomplishments and potential: Academic excellence is assessed on the basis of the candidate’s contributions (publications, PhD thesis, etc. as outlined in the CV), their plans and commitment to an academic career as outlined in their ‘Research Proposal’ and ‘Academic career statement’, and other supporting evidence (i.e. two letters of reference). Preference is given to applicants in the early stages of their post-doctoral career, who can gain most from the programme.
- Research Proposal: the proposal must be clear and well structured, with well-defined and realistic goals that can be achieved within the duration of the fellowship.
- Mentorship: The capacity and availability of EUI faculty, be it in the departments or the RSCAS, to provide mentorship is taken into account; however, while having common research interests may be helpful, it is not a necessity for mentorship
Number of Awardees: 50 to 60 candidates
Value of Fellowship Award:
- The Fellowship provides a grant of 2000 euro per month plus – when appropriate – a family allowance.
- The Max Weber Fellows enjoy the superb research facilities of the European University Institute (including an outstanding library, a shared office space, and a personal research fund of 1000 euros).
- The MWP is unique among postdoctoral programmes in helping Fellows to become full members of a global academic community.
- Fellows are given training and support in all aspects of an academic career – from publishing and presenting, teaching, applying for research grants and jobs. A particular focus is placed on communicating effectively in English to different kinds of academic audiences.
- Its placement record is second to none: most Max Weber Fellows secure an academic position in the finest institutions around the world upon completion of the Programme.
Duration of Fellowship: 1 and 2 year post doctoral fellowships
How to Apply: The annual deadline is 25 October, but applications for self-funded fellowships will be considered until 25 March.
To Visit Fellowship Webpage Click Here
Application Deadline: 25th October, 2016/Offered annually? Yes
Please Note: To see more Scholarship Opportunities Click Here