When applying for studies in schools abroad, one of the toughest hurdles to overcome for admission into a good university is the TOEFL or the IELTS exam requirement.
Expectedly, many Nigerian students always find it difficult to pass the TOEFL or the IELTS tests. Additionally, these tests incur more costs to the already piling expenses a student has to pay for quality education.
We have however identify Five (5) Countries with their universities that do not have a mandatory TOEFL/IELTS requirement.
Find the list of countries in this order:
- United States
- United Kingdom
Interestingly, few schools in the US are known to exempt students from certain countries from presenting English proficiency test scores. International students whose national language is English often don’t need to take the TOEFL/IELTS. It now becomes important for students seeking admission into their choice schools to check the websites of the schools and generally research deeply about the schools before applying. Researching your school makes the admission process easier and less complicated.
These are some of the schools in the US that do not require TOEFL/IELTS on certain conditions
1) University of Colorado: International students applying to the University of Colorado are required to meet a minimum standard of English proficiency except a) the student’s native language is English b) the applying student has completed at least one year of full-time academic study at a U.S. institution. However, countries like Botswana, Ghana, South Africa and Nigeria are exempted from this arrangement. Students from these countries are NOT required to have TOEFL OR IELTS scores.
2) California State University: The California State University is a public university system in California. For admission in this university, international students need not produce a TOEFL/IELTS score if they have attended secondary school or/and graduate school with English as their medium of instruction. There are also a few countries for whose students they have waived the minimum English requirement.
2) Drexel University: Drexel University is a private research university with campuses in Philadelphia and California. Drexel University has two conditional admission programs i.e. University Preparation Summer Program (UPREP) and Bridge Program for international students who don’t meet the language requirement.
3) State University of New York: The State University of New York is a public university system in Albany, New York. The university grants admission to international students provided they undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
4) University of Iowa: The University of Iowa is a public research university based in Iowa City, Iowa. The university grants admission to students who are eligible but do not meet the English proficiency requirement.
5) University of Arkansas: The University of Arkansas is a public research university located in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Eligible international students need not produce TOEFL/IELTS scores; instead they must undertake the Intensive English Language Program (IELP).
University of Oslo: At the University of Oslo, only students from South Africa in Africa are overlooked in the English language requirement. Other students from Africa may be asked for TOEFL/IELTS scores. However, international students are required to check the requirements of their courses in the desired university before they apply as they may be lucky to find some courses that are free from TOEFL/IELTS requirements.
College admission requirements in German Universities vary between universities. Usually students do not need a TOEFL or IELTS if they hold a bachelor’s degree with English as language of instruction or if their mother tongue is English. Some, universities just require letter from the student’s college to verify English Language Proficiency. There are specific language requirements for admission to different programs in Universities like Freie Universität Berlin. As a result,while some courses do not require English language proficiency, others do. The requirements for courses in English Philology for example, are met only if the language test is passed. Students are required to check the requirements of their courses in the desired university before they apply as they may be lucky to find some courses that are free from TOEFL/IELTS requirements.
Inholland University: Inholland University of Applied Sciences in Holland notably accepts students from South Africa who wish to study in the University without IELTS or TOEFL. Students from other countries may be required to present evidence of English proficiency because these countries are generally classed as non-english speaking countries.
UNITED KINGDOM (UK)
University of Bristol, The University of Bolton, London SouthBank University, Robert Gordon University etc.
Countries like Nigeria, Ghana and South Africa enjoy robust attention from the above listed universities and many more (Request for information from your desired school about their English requirements. This is certainly the best way to go about your admission process). The result is that the entry requirements for students of these countries do not often require IELTS/TOEFL. However, different courses/programmes need different levels of language skills. These language skills can be referred to as ‘profiles’. The profile for an international student’s chosen course/ career may need English, country-preference or not.
Recommended Link: How To Apply For A Canadian Visa To Study Abroad